Blogs & News
File Sharing with Microsoft 365: Set permissions, share, collaborate & co-edit your documents
10 November 2022
Creating, storing, communicating, collaborating, co-editing, and sharing files seamlessly can be a challenge. Microsoft 365 file sharing provides a great solution for sharing your documents with colleagues and external parties, wherever they are located.
Whether you are using a laptop, PC, or mobile device, real-time sharing and co-authoring are available (online) in:
Colleagues can work on the same document, contribute links, and request feedback while the document is stored online.
How do I use Microsoft 365 file sharing?
It’s simple to share your documents when using Microsoft 365.
You can create a shareable link that makes it simple to share a document in an email, in another document, or even an instant message. You can also choose to share internally, or externally to people outside your organisation.
Note: Microsoft 365 provides ample storage space for backing up files, photos, and videos.
Sharing documents via email in Microsoft 365
1. Whilst in the document you want to share, select Share, which is located in the top right-hand corner.
NOTE: If you have not yet uploaded your document to OneDrive, you’ll be prompted to do so at this point.
2. Select Share again and you’ll be presented with the ‘Send link’ pop-up.
3. Choose the permissions you want to grant your recipient – you can allow the recipient to edit, review or simply view the document.
4. Type the name(s) or email address(es) you want to share with, add an optional message, and select Send.
Creating shareable links for your documents in Microsoft 365
1. As above (whilst in your document), select Share from the top right-hand corner and then select Share again.
2. This time, you’ll need to select Link settings from the drop down menu.
3. You’ll be presented with a few options for your shareable link.
- Anyone with the link – This will give access to anyone who receives this link. You can use this option to share outside of your organisation.
NOTE: If you use this option, the link can still be accessed even if it is forwarded on to another recipient.
- People in ‘your organisation’ with the link – This gives access to anyone within your organisation. This can be from directly receiving or from being forwarded the link.
- People with existing access – This is the option to use if the recipient has already been granted access to the document.
NOTE: Permissions will not be changed if using this option.
- Specific people – Use this option if you want to grant access to specific people only. If this link is forwarded, only people you have specified will be able to access the document via the link.
4. Once you have selected your option, you can set permissions using Other Settings.
5. Choose the permissions you want and then select Apply.
6. Now that your link has been created, with specified recipients and permissions, you can share it via email, document or IM – simply click the Copy button and begin sharing.
If you have any questions about this or need assistance, then please contact the GCC Group Support Team on 0345 260 1151 or email@example.com
In our personal and business lives, we’re becoming more connected than ever. Microsoft 365 is the world-class cloud-based platform which helps you to achieve your goals from anywhere.
Microsoft 365 is a suite of apps bringing together all the greatest Office applications in one cloud-based platform, enabling your people to connect, collaborate and get things done from anywhere.
Applications that help you stay connected and get things done include:
Microsoft’s iconic word processing program allows you to create and share documents, now with intelligent document support.
Simplify complex data with the world’s most-used spreadsheet program.
Create and share outstanding presentations.
Bring everyone together with secure video & call conferencing, instant messaging, and collaboration.
Manage all your emails in one place.
- One Drive
Save files securely and access them at any time, from anywhere.
Create team sites to share information, files, and resources.
Plus, other useful applications such as Exchange, Intune and Azure Information Protection.
Speak to us today to find out how which Microsoft applications could be deployed in your business.