Blogs & News
How to set up column reporting in Dynamics Business Central
10 January 2023
When using column reporting, it is possible to report on more than one period on the same report column heading. This enables you to have quarterly values as report column headings.
In this blog, we’ll show you how you can achieve this using a couple of different methods.
How do I do this?
There are a couple of methods of setting up your column reporting:
1. Fixed Dates Ranges using Use the Comparison period Formula
- Firstly open Financial Reports > Edit Column Definitions – then you can either amend an existing column definition or create a new one
- Use FY[X..Y] Where X and Y are numbers within your accounting period – i.e. X = 4 and Y = 6 this will show a value for the 2nd Quarter of the accounting year
- Last Quarter will be FY[10..12]
- This will fix the period only changing when the year is changed
- An example is shown below of 4 quarters and YTD column headings
2. Variable Period
- This is based on the period date that is selected on the report date filter
- Use XP where X is either a positive or negative number
- Positive will mean in the future of the current period that is on the report date filter, whereas Negative will mean a prior period.
- i.e. -2P means two periods prior to current period and 2P means two periods in the future of the current period
- You can then add multiple periods to report, based on the current date used on the date filter and then add a Formulae to add them up to get a total for those periods
- An example is shown below:
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
Dynamics 365 Business Central is a cloud-based, all-in-one ERP business management solution from Microsoft.
Designed to integrate with the full Microsoft suite – such as Outlook, Excel, and Power Apps – Business Central can connect and automate your business from managing your accounts, stock, projects, manufacturing and sales.
Become a smarter, more agile, and better-informed business with Business Central – a solution which can evolve and grow as your business grows.
Business Central offers:
- Greater control and insight of your business
- Real time business reporting
- Cloud benefits – secure access from anywhere
- Full Microsoft 365 integration – increasing collaboration and efficiency across your business
- Customisations for specific industry needs with Power Apps, Power Automate and Power BI
Business Central is flexible to suit any business needs so simply choose which modules are needed for your business.
Speak to a member of the GCC team and find out more about Dynamics 365 Business Central.