Blogs & News
How to set up Multi Factor Authentication in Microsoft 365
12 May 2022
Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) is a great tool to ensure that end users have enhanced security of their logins, that go above and beyond the basic password login.
When users enable MFA with Microsoft 365, they will be required to acknowledge a phone call, text message or a notification via an app on their smartphone after entering their password.
How does the end user set up Multi Factor Authentication?
Once your global Admin on your Microsoft 365 portal enables MFA for your individual account, you need to complete the setup.
This should only take a few minutes, but requires a mobile phone.
1. Sign into your Microsoft 365 portal on the following website: https://portal.office.com
2. Input your email address and password for your Microsoft 365 account and click ‘Sign In’.
Once you have entered your email address and password you will be presented with a one-time only screen as shown below.
3. Click the NEXT button. You will then see the screen below.
4. Select Authentication phone or Mobile App. Select United Kingdom (+44) to the right of this drop-down box and enter your mobile number.
5. Under Method select Send me a code by text message.
NOTE: There are no charges for sending a text message to your mobile providing this is setup whilst in the UK.
6. Click the next button and you will see the following screen:
7. You will have been text a 6 digit verification number that you have to enter into the box on your screen. The verify button will then become visible. Click verify to continue.
8. You will then be presented with the following screen, whereby you will need to click on the page icon on the screen – this page icon is highlighted (below).
9. Copy this “app password” somewhere where it can be retrieved later. This password can be used instead of your normal Microsoft 365 password, for all applications that do not support MFA.
10. The final step is to log into Microsoft 365 portal once more and confirm your telephone number. You will be sent a 6-digit verification number, and this is entered in the verification box, which will complete the setup.
To further automate this login procedure – Microsoft Authenticator can be installed on your phone.
This is not a mandatory requirement but will speed up the authentication process.
This application “Microsoft Authenticator” must be installed via the “App store” on your phone. This application will allow you to complete MFA authentication without an SMS or phone message. A simple dialog button on the phone will authenticate your login.
Once the Authenticator app is installed on your phone, do not open the application but login into your Microsoft 365 Web page and complete the following steps:
- Select “MY Account” icon in the top right of the Microsoft 365 webpage
- Select “My Account”
- Select “Security & Privacy”
- Select “Additional security verification”
- Select “Create and manage app passwords”
- Select “additional security verification”
- Select Setup Authenticator app
- Follow the instructions on the screen
If you have any questions about this or need assistance, then please contact the GCC Group Support Team on 0345 260 1151 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Microsoft 365 Security & Compliance
Microsoft 365 Security is a top priority for any business – especially when using the cloud to store and remotely access confidential information.
At GCC, we work with you to ensure all Microsoft 365 services utilise the very latest security and compliance.
Speak to us today for more information on how GCC can extend the security & compliance of Microsoft 365.