Blogs & News
How to use the Document Inspector in Word to make your documents more secure
14 November 2023
Document security is always a number one priority when storing and sharing any type of documentation. Microsoft incorporates a unique feature throughout their Office 365 Suite, called Document Inspector, which helps to keep your documents secure.
In this blog we will explore the use of the Document Inspector feature in Microsoft’s Word desktop application.
Read on to find out how you can use this great feature.
What does Document Inspector do?
Generally, after creating documents, we may neglect the need to check or edit properly – this is where the Document Inspector comes in!
In a nutshell, Document Inspector gives users an easy way to examine documents for personal or sensitive information, text phrases, and other document contents.
Before distributing a document, you can use the Document Inspector to remove unwanted information.
What else can The Document Inspector do?
The Document Inspector in Word also lets you remove document data that may be hidden.
For example, when you accept or reject tracked changes in a document, this will usually remove all tracked changes from the document. However, the Document Inspector in Word enables you to review and inspect documents for hidden data, such as hidden tracked changes.
The Document Inspector also enables you to find other metadata within your document that you may not want to send to the recipient.
How do I use The Document Inspector for Microsoft Word?
NOTE: Before using the Document Inspector in Word, it is essential that you save a copy of the document. This is important as it is not always possible to restore the data removed by the Document Inspector.
1. After saving a copy of the original Word document, open the document you’d like to inspect.
2. Click the File tab in the Ribbon.
3. Then click the Info command from the left side menu.
4. Click the Check for Issues drop-down button, which is located next to the Inspect Document area.
5. Next click the Inspect Document command from the drop-down menu that appears.
6. In the Document Inspector dialog box that appears, select the checkboxes for the types of data you want the Document Inspector to find and remove from the document.
7. Then click the Inspect button.
8. Word will then show any hidden information for the selected categories in a results page.
9. To remove all the data for the results shown in each category, click the Remove All button in that category.
10. Finally, when you have finished, click the Close button in the Document Inspector dialog box.
Your document is now secure and ready for distribution!
This feature is also available in Excel and PowerPoint, and is performed by using the same steps as above.
If you have any questions about this or need assistance, then please contact the GCC Group Support Team on 0345 260 1151 or email@example.com
In our personal and business lives, we’re becoming more connected than ever. Microsoft 365 is the world-class cloud-based platform which helps you to achieve your goals from anywhere.
Microsoft 365 is a suite of apps bringing together all the greatest Office applications in one cloud-based platform, enabling your people to connect, collaborate and get things done from anywhere.
Applications that help you stay connected and get things done include:
Microsoft’s iconic word processing program allows you to create and share documents, now with intelligent document support.
Simplify complex data with the world’s most-used spreadsheet program.
Create and share outstanding presentations.
Bring everyone together with secure video & call conferencing, instant messaging, and collaboration.
Manage all your emails in one place.
- One Drive
Save files securely and access them at any time, from anywhere.
Create team sites to share information, files, and resources.
Plus, other useful applications such as Exchange, Intune and Azure Information Protection.
Speak to us today to find out how which Microsoft applications could be deployed in your business.